The Tallinn Christmas Market Voted Best in Europe – 5 Facts!
The citizens have always known it but now it is official: the Tallinn Christmas Market has been voted the best Christmas market in Europe.
European Best Destinations website created a poll to find once again the best Christmas market in Europe. More than 200 000 people voted and Tallinn Christmas Market was voted best. It reached the top 10 also the year before.
The Christmas Market is right here at Maikrhv’s door. People love its cosyness, long traditions and historical location in the medieval old town. They also mentioned the Christmas treats, Santa Claus’ house, Estonial traditional hadicraft and other gifts.
How well do you know the history of the Estonian Christmas Market? How the Christmas tree arrives and how it is decorated?
5 fun facts about the Tallinn Christmas Market
- In the year of 1441 the Brotherhood of Blackheads erected the first Christmas Tree at Tallinn Town Hall Square, making it one of the earliest evidence of decorated trees. It was the first Christmas Tree ever put on display in Europe.
- The Christmas Market of today started again after Estonia regained its independence in 1991.
- The gourgeous Christmas Tree is picked annually at a nationwide Christmas Tree competition. The trees must grow in Estonia, at least 15–18 meters high, thick and symmetrical. Santa Claus himselt will lead the ceremony of bringing the tree into the heart of Tallinn.
- This year’s Christmas Tree comes from Tallinn for the first time: this beautiful tree grew in Kibuvitsa Street. It is decorated with love as Christmast is the most beloved holiday among Estonians.
- Over half a million people visit Tallinn’s Christmas Market each year. And almost 3000 people perform on the Christmas Market stage. You can find the program here.
Let us meet at the best Christmas Market in Europe and at Maikrahv!